When we remove your braces, we will begin the retention stage of your treatment. The retention phase lasts for a minimum of 24 months. Your final orthodontic result depends on your retainers, so follow through with the hard work you’ve put in so far. Remember to remove your retainer before brushing, and brush your retainer before placing it back in your mouth.
Retainer Tips from the Experts
You will need to wear your retainers full time (AM & PM), until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating (only if you can remember not to lose them)…and always put retainers in their case when they are not in your mouth! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- Never let saliva dry on your retainers! Always rinse them off with water.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud will help you get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive…with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, microwave ovens, hungry pets and napkins.
- A fixed wire is usually placed on the back of your lower front teeth to act as a retainer. As long as this retainer is attached to the teeth and intact, the lower teeth will remain aligned.
- If part of your lower wire comes off, please contact our office immediately.
- Clear retainers can also be used for adults to provide a more esthetic solution.